The counselor is regularly in the classroom to provide lessons on a variety of topics to assist all students in reaching academic, career, and personal/social goals. Lessons are developmentally appropriate and align with the Bismarck Public School Counseling learning targets and the American School Counselor Association's Mindsets & Behaviors for Student Success.
The Bismarck Elementary Counseling program is continuously working to prioritize standards, clarify expectations, and develop curriculum resources that best fit the learning needs of our BPS students. Because the process of curriculum review and development involves constant reflection and revision, updates and changes at different grade levels are to be expected.
School counselors encourage the following mindsets for all students.
- Mindset 1. Belief in development of whole self, including a healthy balance of mental, social/emotional and physical well-being
- Mindset 2. Self-confidence in ability to succeed
- Mindset 3. Sense of belonging in the school environment
- Mindset 4. Understanding that postsecondary education and life-long learning are necessary for long-term career success
- Mindset 5. Belief in using abilities to their fullest to achieve high-quality results and outcomes
- Mindset 6. Positive attitude toward work and learning
Fifth Grade Student Learning Targets
Academic Development Targets
- I can tell what can be learned from a mistake.
- I can cooperate with others to complete a task.
- I can write a short-term academic goal.
Career Development Targets
- I can recognize how my interests and abilities relate to possible career choices.
- I can match careers to their cluster.
Social/Emotional Development Targets
- I can prepare for transition to middle school.
- I can recognize how perspective affects conflict.
- I can tell three ways to use technology respectfully.
- I can identify qualities I would choose in a friend.
- I can use STEP to solve a problem.
- I can explain how my choices affect others.
- I can choose strategies to deal with a conflict.
- I can identify strategies to deal with bullying behaviors.
- I can demonstrate refusal skills.
- I can tell three consequences of using tobacco or alcohol.
- I can identify three healthy ways to cope with stress.