The counselor is regularly in the classroom to provide lessons on a variety of topics to assist all students in reaching academic, career, and personal/social goals. Lessons are developmentally appropriate and align with the Bismarck Public School Counseling learning targets and the American School Counselor Association's Mindsets & Behaviors for Student Success.
The Bismarck Elementary Counseling program is continuously working to prioritize standards, clarify expectations, and develop curriculum resources that best fit the learning needs of our BPS students. Because the process of curriculum review and development involves constant reflection and revision, updates and changes at different grade levels are to be expected.
School counselors encourage the following mindsets for all students.
- Mindset 1. Belief in development of whole self, including a healthy balance of mental, social/emotional and physical well-being
- Mindset 2. Self-confidence in ability to succeed
- Mindset 3. Sense of belonging in the school environment
- Mindset 4. Understanding that postsecondary education and life-long learning are necessary for long-term career success
- Mindset 5. Belief in using abilities to their fullest to achieve high-quality results and outcomes
- Mindset 6. Positive attitude toward work and learning
First Grade Student Learning Targets
Academic Development Targets
- I can show active listening.
- I can keep trying when something is hard.
Career Development Targets
- I can name five different jobs in the community.
Social/Emotional Development Targets
- I can identify eight feelings.
- I can tell why self-control is important.
- I can show cooperation.
- I can tell three things I like about myself.
- I can tell three of my responsibilities.
- I can tell how to be a friend.
- I can tell how choices have consequences.
- I can tell four things to do when someone bothers me.
- I can tell the reason for rules.
- I can identify safe and unsafe touch.
- I can name three people I can ask for help.
- I can identify tattling.
- I can make a healthy choice.
- I can tell three ways to calm down.