In 2015 Centennial Elementary started a new program called Watch D.O.G.S. Our goal is to get student's fathers (and father-figures) to take the time to volunteer one half day a year in their child's school. Statistics show that by having fathers more involved, children develop more fully socially, physically, academically, and emotionally. When you volunteer it also shows your child that education is important to you.
We are asking that you make the commitment to volunteer for one half day (8:15-11:30). When volunteering you will spend time in your child's classroom helping the teacher and the students with an activity such as reading to students, helping with a math game, recess, an art project etc. You will also have the opportunity to spend time in other classrooms so that more students can benefit from your presence as a role model.
We want the students to know when there is a Watch D.O.G. in the building. On the day you volunteer, your child will get to introduce you over the intercom. There are Watch D.O.G.S. uniforms (shirts) that are available for you to buy if you choose as this helps you to be more visible to the students. An adult shirt is $20. There are also children's shirts available if you are interested for $15.
If you would like to learn more about the program, you can check out the official Watch D.O.G. website at: https://dadsofgreatstudents.com/
Here are just a few other important announcements before you sign up:
- You MUST sign up 2 weeks in advance*
- Limited to 2 times per school year
- All volunteers must have a background check completed. If you do this right away, then it takes approx. 2 weeks until it is cleared.
- If the volunteer background check is not completed, you will not be able to volunteer on the day you are signed up to be a Watch DOG.
- Here is how to do the background check: You can go on link listed below or get a form from the office.
3. If you choose to have lunch with your child, then your time as a Watch Dog will end when your child is done with their lunch instead of 11:30 as you will need to stay for all the lunch/recesses at the school. Each lunch time frame may vary per grade level.
- Please call the office by 8:30 if you plan on having lunch with a student. We need to report an accurate lunch count to our kitchen to ensure they have enough meals prepared.
- The cost of the adult lunch is $4.00. You will need to pay in the office using exact change. We do not have cash in the office to give back any change. We are no longer allowed to use a student's meal account to pay for an adult.
- We ask that you do not bring in fast food to have lunch with your child. District policy states "Meals and drinks from competitive, commercial eating establishments will not be allowed in school cafeterias for consumption or sale."
How to Sign Up:
- Go to: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0E44A4AA2FA1FFC25-watch
- You will pick your day as well as add your contact information and your child’s name. If you will at the time of signup if you will be staying for lunch, please indicate that in the comment/notes section.