Early Intervention (birth to age 3)
Who We Serve
Children ages birth to age 3 who qualify for Early Intervention services based on one of the following criteria:
- 50% delay in an area of development (cognition, communication, motor, self-help, or social emotional skills)
- 25% delay in 2 or more areas of development
- Diagnosis or disability that impairs typical development
- Significant health condition that puts child at high risk for delays in development
- Vision or Hearing loss
- Developmental concerns based on professional judgement
What We Do
Early Intervention is based on the belief that children learn best while engaged in day-to-day activities in familiar places with people they know and love. Providing supports and services to caregivers is more important than providing services directly to the child. It is the learning that happens between visits that makes the difference. By partnering with families, we provide them with the tools and support they need to help their child be successful.
Participation in Early Intervention is voluntary. The program is built on the following beliefs:
- Families are their child's first and best teacher.
- Information and emotional support help families care for their children.
- Services and supports are designed around and promote family strengths.
- Services and supports occur in the context of the child and family's day-to-day activities.
- Services and supports are individualized in an individual Family Service Plan.
Who to Call
Anyone can refer a child for a developmental evaluation. This includes, but is not limited to parents, grandparents, caregivers, doctors, therapists, daycare providers, and community agencies.
To make a referral:
Developmental Disabilities Division/West Central Human Service Center
Other Contact Information:
720 N 14th St
Bismarck, ND 58501
Counties We Serve
BECEP serves the following counties as Region VII in the ND Early Intervention system:
Burleigh, Morton, Grant, Oliver, Mercer, McLean, Emmons, Kidder and Sheridan.