The counselor is regularly in the classroom to provide lessons on a variety of topics to assist all students in reaching academic, career, and personal/social goals. Lessons are developmentally appropriate and align with the Bismarck Public School Counseling learning targets and the American School Counselor Association's Mindsets & Behaviors for Student Success.
The Bismarck Elementary Counseling program is continuously working to prioritize standards, clarify expectations, and develop curriculum resources that best fit the learning needs of our BPS students. Because the process of curriculum review and development involves constant reflection and revision, updates and changes at different grade levels are to be expected.
School counselors encourage the following mindsets for all students.
- Mindset 1. Belief in development of whole self, including a healthy balance of mental, social/emotional and physical well-being
- Mindset 2. Self-confidence in ability to succeed
- Mindset 3. Sense of belonging in the school environment
- Mindset 4. Understanding that postsecondary education and life-long learning are necessary for long-term career success
- Mindset 5. Belief in using abilities to their fullest to achieve high-quality results and outcomes
- Mindset 6. Positive attitude toward work and learning
Kindergarten Student Learning Targets
Academic Development Targets
- I can tell why school is important.
- I can show active listening.
- I can keep trying when something is hard.
Career Development Targets
- I can name different jobs at home and school.
Social/Emotional Development Targets
- I can name five feelings.
- I can tell how others feel.
- I can tell three things I can do well.
- I can tell two ways that I am the same and different from others.
- I can tell what is friendly.
- I can tell why it is important to tell the truth.
- I can tell why we have rules.
- I can tell what is safe and unsafe.
- I can ask an adult for help when I need it.
- I can tell three healthy habits.
- I can practice three ways to calm down.