In 1923, when the School Board proposed the site for a new school in Bismarck (Anderson Street between West Avenue A and B), some people objected, saying it would be too far out of town. The school board went ahead anyway and constructed Roosevelt School for a total cost of $81,000. The original Roosevelt School had 4 classes: 1st grade, 2nd and 3rd combined, 4th grade, and 5th and 6th combined. On April 14th, 1931, an early morning fire swept through the upper part of the building causing $12,000 damage to that story and the roof. In 1958 a new addition was added to the building.
In 1975, the old Roosevelt School was demolished as a new Roosevelt was built. The new Roosevelt faced the opposite direction--613 West Avenue B and the site of the original school became the new playground. Cost for the new building was $800,000.
Improvements to the interior of Roosevelt School since 1975 include the building of walls to partition off classrooms.