Seniors, Juniors, Sophomores and Parents
Below was an email sent to parents. If you did not receive and want communication via email please call BHS Attendance at 323-4800 ext. 6007 to get your email address updated/added.
Greetings BHS Seniors, Juniors, Sophomores and Parents!
This is the first of two emails you will receive as we prepare for the 2017-18 school year at Bismarck High School, which begins on Thursday, August 24, 2017.
In this email, I have attached several documents that may be useful to you as the school year begins, (I have also included a webpage link if one exists, should you be unable to open the attachments):
- 2017-18 Bismarck High School Daily Class Schedule/Career Academy Class and Bus Schedule Schedule Time/ Grade Scale
- 2017-18 Bismarck High School Calendar BHS Event Calendar
- 2017-18 Bismarck Public Schools Calendar https://www.bismarckschools.org/cms/lib/ND02203833/Centricity/Domain/4/2017-18%20calendar.pdf
- 2017-18 Income Eligibility Guidelines for Free and Reduced Price School Meals https://www.bismarckschools.org/Page/2193
- 2017-18 Application for Free and Reduced Price School Meals https://www.bismarckschools.org/cms/lib/ND02203833/Centricity/Domain/212/Free%20and%20Reduced%20App%202017-18%20no%20link.pdf
- 2017-18 Busing information can be found at https://www.bismarckschools.org/domain/221
You can expect the second email within a few days. It will contain:
- your 2017-18 Class Schedule
- dates/times reserved for schedule changes for grades 12, 11, and 10, should you need one
Note: Freshmen and their parents will receive a separate set of informational emails within a few weeks.
I hope you are enjoy the remainder of your summer break, the first day of school, August 24, will be here before we know it! I am looking forward to the 2017-18 school year!
Bismarck High School Principal
Envirothon Team - Fundraiser
Please consider supporting our BHS students by going to Applebees on Monday, July 10th and /or Monday, July 24th from 3pm- closing. 20% of the bill will be donated to our BHS Envirothon Team. Please show the attached image to your server for BHS to receive the credit.
BHS Events 2017-2018 at a Glance
August 15 Freshman Orientation Night 5:30-7:30pm August 24 First Day of School August 28 Parent Open House 6-8pm September 8 School Pictures September 18-22 Homecoming Week - BHS vs. Fargo South October 2 & 5 Parent/Teacher Conferences 4:15-8 pm October 25 Picture Retakes January 30 Incoming Freshman Open House 6pm April 21 BHS Prom April 25 NHS Ceremony May 24 Last Day of School May 27 BHS Graduation 7 pm Bismarck Event Center
Freshman Orientation Night
Get acquainted with Bismarck High School. Freshmen students and their parents are invited:
TUESDAY, AUGUST 15, 2017
5:30 – 7:30 P.M.
Please plan to attend a brief presentation at 5:30 in the Karlgaard.
This is the time when Freshman will receive their schedule, they will not be mailed. If you miss this night, Freshman can pick up their schedule any time after August 15th from the Attendance Office.
You may also purchase the following: Student planners ($5) / Parking permits ($5) / Student athletic passes ($30) / Sports activity fees ($50) / You may also put money in your student’s lunch account. Please put students # or name on the memo line of your check
First Day of School
The first day is August 24, 2017! There is no standard school supply list. Please bring a notebook and pencil to classes the first day.
Tips for Using Website
1. We are excited to launch our new website under the same address: www.bismarckschools.org. Check out the district home page by hovering over or clicking each link or icon to see what’s there before school starts on Aug. 24. You will find your school and others under the bright red “Our Schools” tab on the top left. *NOTE: elementary and middle school calendars are not functioning yet. Secretaries will be trained in early August. Until then, you can find important school dates under Announcements.
2. Registration can be found to the left of School Board & Policies. This would be for incoming kindergarteners, new students to the district, boundary maps, and other materials.
3. BPS is now using rSchools calendars so everything is all in one place for parents. If you are a middle or high school parent, you may be familiar with these searchable calendars from our Activities pages. Now all calendars, including non-athletic events, for example, will be on an rSchool calendar, which will let you filter by your child(ren’s) activities, etc. We will post a tutorial video so you can learn how to use this handy feature! Elementary rSchool calendars will be ready closer to the start of school in late August.
4. Parents and students can now email teachers and key school staff using the Staff Directory on the top right of the district or school home pages. You do NOT need to fill in ALL of the information fields! You can sort by building, job role, title, or first or last name to find the person you need. During the 2017-18 school year, we will be adding those emails to school pages under Academics on the left. You can also see whether a teacher has a classroom Facebook page, for example.
5. Our new website has several icons that appear on the district page and the school pages. They are also easy to find on your cell phone. If you go to the Bus icon on the top right (on our home page, any school page or on your cell phone or tablet) you can see requested information, such as “Bus Delays or Changes” and “Bus Registration” info. Lunch Menus are also located near the Bus icon for easy access! There’s also a Jobs icon if you are looking for Employment Opportunities in Bismarck Public Schools.
6. Our new website has sections called Quick Links because of input we received from parents, staff, students and community members. Check out what’s posted there, such as the Elementary Facility Committee proposals & documents. If you have other ideas, email email@example.com.
7. You may not see PTO/PAC info or school newsletters posted on your school website until after school begins, but they will be there eventually!
8. If you bookmarked or had a shortcut to our website, you will need to delete or re-do those to www.bismarckschools.org.
9. The Sign In feature on the top right is only for designated staff managing our web pages.
10. If you have questions or comments about our new website, use the New Webpage Feedback Form under District Announcements. You may want to save this email until you become more familiar with our new website.
New Website Feedback Form!
We welcome any feedback on our new website. If you have any suggestions, please complete our Feedback Form.
Summer Food Program ends July 28Free lunches will be served this summer for ALL kids ages 18 and under at 5 locations regardless of which school they attend. A hot or cold meal will be served Monday through Friday, June 5-July 28, but not on July 3 and 4. Here are the times & locations of the BPS Summer Feeding Program:Wachter Middle School
Off 7th St. and Expressway Ave. at 1107 S. 7th St.
Sons of Norway Park
East of Jeannette Myhre School on Expressway Ave.
Moses School Playground
11:45 am-1 pm
Off 3rd St. east of the Wave Pool at 1312 Columbia Dr.
Will-Moore School Playground
11:45 am-1 pm
Off 4th St. and Ave. E.
11:45 am-1 pm
Park is at Boulevard Ave. & 16th St. Lunch served at the shelter next to the playground SW of Hillside Pool.
July 5 - Aug. 10 Clothing Drive/Giveaway
Clothes for Bros. (and girls too) Clothing Drive
July 5 - Aug. 8
Clean out your closet this summer! Youthworks is collecting teen girls and boys clothing for their annual clothing giveaway. Drop off new and gently used teen clothing at Plato's Closet, 204 W. Front Ave.
We've Got You Covered Clothing Giveaway
August 10, 6-8 pm at Bismarck High, 800 N. 8th St.
The clothing giveaway is open to youth entering middle or high school that are in need of back to school clothing at no cost.
For more information about these events, contact Youthworks at 255-6909.
Aug. 22 Fill the BusFill the Bus will be 6 am to 6 pm Tues., Aug. 22 at the Bismarck Red Carpet Car Wash locations by Century High and on Washington and Expressway to collect new school supplies for children in need in the Bismarck-Mandan area. To donate online to Fill the Bus, go to www.bpsfoundation.com. Click Donate, Donate Now, then choose Fill the Bus! Supplies will be distributed to counselors the next day so students can have them in time for the 1st day of in Bismarck and Mandan Public Schools, which is Thursday, Aug. 24. If you need supplies, call your child’s school secretary or counselor!