First Day of School Information
First Day Information - August 24th
Students will attend a full day of classes on Thursday, August 24, 2017. Students should check their schedule on PowerSchool the first morning because adjustments to the master schedule may have been made prior to the first day of school.
Students without access to a phone/computer, should stop at the office to get a paper copy of their schedule.
Students who begin their school day at the Career Academy/Tech Center Campus should attend class at that location. Buses will be available to take students to the Career and Tech Campus beginning at 7:10 a.m. A full bus schedule is available on page 4.
There is no standard school supply list. Please bring a notebook and pencil to classes the first day.
Seniors, Juniors, Sophomores and Parents
Below was an email sent to parents. If you did not receive and want communication via email please call BHS Attendance at 323-4800 ext. 6007 to get your email address updated/added.
Greetings BHS Seniors, Juniors, Sophomores and Parents!
This is the first of two emails you will receive as we prepare for the 2017-18 school year at Bismarck High School, which begins on Thursday, August 24, 2017.
In this email, I have attached several documents that may be useful to you as the school year begins, (I have also included a webpage link if one exists, should you be unable to open the attachments):
- 2017-18 Bismarck High School Daily Class Schedule/Career Academy Class and Bus Schedule Schedule Time/ Grade Scale
- 2017-18 Bismarck High School Calendar BHS Event Calendar
- 2017-18 Bismarck Public Schools Calendar https://www.bismarckschools.org/cms/lib/ND02203833/Centricity/Domain/4/2017-18%20calendar.pdf
- 2017-18 Income Eligibility Guidelines for Free and Reduced Price School Meals https://www.bismarckschools.org/Page/2193
- 2017-18 Application for Free and Reduced Price School Meals https://www.bismarckschools.org/cms/lib/ND02203833/Centricity/Domain/212/Free%20and%20Reduced%20App%202017-18%20no%20link.pdf
- 2017-18 Busing information can be found at https://www.bismarckschools.org/domain/221
You can expect the second email within a few days. It will contain:
- your 2017-18 Class Schedule
- dates/times reserved for schedule changes for grades 12, 11, and 10, should you need one
Note: Freshmen and their parents will receive a separate set of informational emails within a few weeks.
I hope you are enjoy the remainder of your summer break, the first day of school, August 24, will be here before we know it! I am looking forward to the 2017-18 school year!
Bismarck High School Principal
BHS Events 2017-2018 at a Glance
August 15 Freshman Orientation Night 5:30-7:30pm August 24 First Day of School - Check PowerSchool for Schedule August 28 Parent Open House 6-8pm September 8 School Pictures September 18-22 Homecoming Week - BHS vs. Fargo South October 2 & 5 Parent/Teacher Conferences 4:15-8 pm October 25 Picture Retakes January 30 Incoming Freshman Open House 6pm April 21 BHS Prom April 25 NHS Ceremony May 24 Last Day of School May 27 BHS Graduation 7 pm Bismarck Event Center
Parent Open House
Monday, August 28th from 6-8pm in the Karlgaard gym. Please check back for more information on the activities.
Aug. 19 Youth Triathlon
The YMCA and Starion Bank are hosting a swim, bike and run non-competitive triathlon in 3 age categories: ages 6-9 (parents can participate with their child), ages 10-13, and ages 14-16 on Saturday, Aug. 19, starting at 9 am at the YMCA. Cost is $10 per participant; register at the Y or online at www.bismarckymca.org.
ONE PARENT must stay on site during the event. Helmets are required for the bike ride and will be inspected. The 2 mile bike ride will be along Tom O’Leary Trail; the ½ mile run will also be at Tom O’Leary Trail; the 50 yard swim is down and back in the Rouzie Pool at the Y.
You can sign up for a FREE Triathlon Basics Mini Camp by USAT coach and 5x Ironman Finisher Arnie Strebe. Preregistration is required. Mini camps will be Thursdays from 6:30-7 pm June 29, July 13, July 27 and Aug. 10.
Aug. Educator Discount weekends
Barnes and Noble is having Educator Appreciation Days in August. Come in every Saturday and Sunday and save 25% on books, games, toys, music and more. Plus 10% off on all café consumables. This is a great time to get supplies for your classroom & something for yourself! Stop in for a cup of coffee and a book, too.
School Supply Lists
School supply lists are located in Resources on any elementary and middle school web page located under Our Schools!
For high school, there is no standard school supply list. Please bring a notebook and pencil to classes the first day.
Aug.-Sept. School Open Houses
Tips for Using Website
1. We are excited to launch our new website under the same address: www.bismarckschools.org. Check out the district home page by hovering over or clicking each link or icon to see what’s there before school starts on Aug. 24. You will find your school and others under the bright red “Our Schools” tab on the top left. *NOTE: elementary and middle school calendars are not functioning yet. Secretaries will be trained in early August. Until then, you can find important school dates under Announcements.
2. Registration can be found to the left of School Board & Policies. This would be for incoming kindergarteners, new students to the district, boundary maps, and other materials.
3. BPS is now using rSchools calendars so everything is all in one place for parents. If you are a middle or high school parent, you may be familiar with these searchable calendars from our Activities pages. Now all calendars, including non-athletic events, for example, will be on an rSchool calendar, which will let you filter by your child(ren’s) activities, etc. We will post a tutorial video so you can learn how to use this handy feature! Elementary rSchool calendars will be ready closer to the start of school in late August.
4. Parents and students can now email teachers and key school staff using the Staff Directory on the top right of the district or school home pages. You do NOT need to fill in ALL of the information fields! You can sort by building, job role, title, or first or last name to find the person you need. During the 2017-18 school year, we will be adding those emails to school pages under Academics on the left. You can also see whether a teacher has a classroom Facebook page, for example.
5. Our new website has several icons that appear on the district page and the school pages. They are also easy to find on your cell phone. If you go to the Bus icon on the top right (on our home page, any school page or on your cell phone or tablet) you can see requested information, such as “Bus Delays or Changes” and “Bus Registration” info. Lunch Menus are also located near the Bus icon for easy access! There’s also a Jobs icon if you are looking for Employment Opportunities in Bismarck Public Schools.
6. Our new website has sections called Quick Links because of input we received from parents, staff, students and community members. Check out what’s posted there, such as the Elementary Facility Committee proposals & documents. If you have other ideas, email email@example.com.
7. You may not see PTO/PAC info or school newsletters posted on your school website until after school begins, but they will be there eventually!
8. If you bookmarked or had a shortcut to our website, you will need to delete or re-do those to www.bismarckschools.org.
9. The Sign In feature on the top right is only for designated staff managing our web pages.
10. If you have questions or comments about our new website, use the New Webpage Feedback Form under District Announcements. You may want to save this email until you become more familiar with our new website.