- Do I have a clear question of what I want to know?
- Will I be able to find good information on this subject?
- Do I need to NARROW or EXPAND my search?
- Do I have a PLAN?
Where do I start my search?
- Library catalog for print materials
- Subscriptions Databases on Library website (NetTrekker, eLibrary, North Dakota Databases, Thompson Gale Databases, CultureGrams)
- Classroom Project links (Sites your teachers or librarians have found for you to use.)
- Subject directories (KidClick, AskforKids, GoogleforKids)
- Search engines (Google, Yahoo, AltaVista)
- Searching techniques for the Internet
- Keywords - will sometim have to think of alternate words to try
- Phrases - use quotes
- Boolean searches - using AND, OR, NOT in your searches
- Hyperlinks - following underlined or highlighted terms that show up in search results
- Searching techniques for printed materials (books, magazines, etc.)
- Table of Contents
- Headings and SubHeadings
- Highlighted or BOLD text
- Captions with pictures
- Is the information ... ?
- Up to date
- Useful for your needs
- At your level
- Balanced or biased
- Which URLs do I use?
- .com means it is business or commercial
- .org is for non-profit organizations
- .gov is used with government agencies
- .edu is educational institutions